Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Birth Control, Abortion, and Minors

These topics were brought up last week in the Human Sexuality class I'm taking with my husband. We were doing an exercise on how conservative/liberal we are now compared to 4 years ago. The last two questions asked us how we felt about minors being able to obtain birth control or get an abortion without notifying their parents.

These are really two different issues, birth control and abortion. And there is absolutely a double standard when it comes to birth control. A boy can walk into a store and buy condoms and it's not an issue. A girl would need to see a doctor to receive birth control. I think it's important for a girl to be able to talk to her parents and see a doctor. Birth control, while wonderful and convenient, can have devastating effects on the human body if not used properly, especially if the effects are not noticed quickly. On the flip side, I think it's OK for boys to go buy condoms. I think that everyone needs to realize that boys are just as responsible as the girls are as far as using contraception. Girls need to understand that it's OK to ask a boy to use a condom. Boys need to be responsible and use condoms. Simple solution.

Abortions. Wow. That's a big one. I'm personally a little bit on the fence here. I grew up in a family where it would have been the end of the world if I had gone to my parents and told them I was pregnant. (I was never pregnant, I'm just saying.) At the same time, I think parents have a right to know. They need to be there for their daughter emotionally as well. An abortion is a big deal, no matter how sure you are that you want it.

I understand that most of us would not have felt comfortable talking to our parents about either birth control or an abortion. What I think is important to take from this is that we need to make sure OUR kids feel comfortable talking to us. It's our responsibility to form the future. Our relationship with our kids will be what we make it.

4 comments:

John Husband said...

I don't see the double standard. A boy can't go by drugs except over the counter either. And there is more than one type of birth control. For example a young woman could go buy condums too.

-John

Please check out my blog. Disorganizedreligion.us

Unknown said...

John - I see your point. My point is that there are no contraceptives specifically for girls that can be given over-the-counter. Which is fine. While a young woman can go purchase condoms, I feel that the young man should bear equal responsibility.

Karla said...

Hi Rachel,

I saw your post on MLPF and thought I would visit you here! Your writing is very candid and you bring up a very difficult topic for discussion, above all in a family.

All my best!
Karla

Anonymous said...

I definately think that there should be over the counter birth control for girls. I think many unwanted pregnacys could be prevented.