Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is the Internet Making Me Crazy?

Well . . . yes it is. I love the internet. It is a magical place full of interesting people, fascinating information, odd things, cool things, weird things. The internet has made my life better; I've learned, found my husband, networked, and started this blog all because of the internet. But lately I started to feel overwhelmed. I had SO many unread posts in my reader, SO many things I should blog about, SO many people to follow on Twitter, SO many things to do that it got to be too much. So I took a break. I just stopped. I didn't read the blogs, I didn't follow Twitter, I didn't even post on this blog. Do you know what happened? Life continued. The earth kept turning. I felt calmer. I read a book! Shocking!

Of course I can't really live without the internet. Why would I want to? But taking a few days off from it helped me to put things into perspective. It's okay to *gasp* not be online and to not necessarily know the very instant something happens. It's okay to not read every blog post in your reader. It's okay to feel . . . very 20th century.

So now that I've had my breather, I'm back. I'm loving Twitter in all it's glory, I'm caught up on my blogs, and here I am posting. But who's to say I won't get overwhelmed again? Well, you guys (yep, you, reading this) are some smart people. What do you do so that you don't get overwhelmed by everything on the internet?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel, it is so easy to get overwhelmed with all of the information. I disconnect periodically. I catch up on blogs when I can and try to structure my days to focus on what's important. Most importantly, I don't feel guilty when I'm out of touch. I love the internet but try to balance it with the life that happens offline too. On occasion I even use the telephone instead of Twitter. :-)

Karen

Unknown said...

Karen, thanks for the good advice. Telephone? What's that? :-)

Anonymous said...

It's scary how addicting it all is. Sometimes it traps me and keeps me up past my bedtime, even when I get home at 11:15. I think it's really important to be disciplined, and take little breaks like you're doing.

Unknown said...

Michael, Thanks for stopping by. I agree that the internet is extremely addicting and breaks are crucial.