Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Great Careers

I'm sure that everyone by now has read Yahoo!'s "10 Great Careers You've Probably Never Heard Of." I have to agree, I hadn't heard of some of those jobs. What I found so interesting about this article is that these jobs represent the evolution of our society. How?

20 years ago, nobody would wake up and say, "I want to be an Experience Designer." Probably, nobody really knew what that meant. Now, it's being hailed as a great career choice. Why? As the article points out, companies are trying to create experiences. Starbucks wants you to spend all day there because you will drink more coffee and buy more eats and treats. So their Experience Designer tells them to put in comfy chairs with side tables, play low music that appeals to wide variety of people, offer wireless internet services, etc. And, of course, it works. Starbucks has become the place to be, especially for student types. Now, that sounds like a fun job.

What position stands out to you why? Why do you think these are such great careers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that most of those careers fit in with the trends in American society these days towards new things, and things that involve less physical labor and more mental labor.