Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why I Could Never Be A Recruiter

This may seem odd coming from someone who works in a recruiting firm. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to work here. One person's success is everyone's success. When one person makes money, the whole company benefits. Because we are such a small firm, it's easy to see everyone's connection to each other. The flip side is also true. When nobody is making money - nobody is making money. And there is where I falter. The great times are great. But I don't see myself handling the not so great times. The stress would be unbelievable. I can hardly imagine. I feel bad enough being an Administrative person, knowing that I don't actually bring in cash flow. So to be a recruiter must be that much more difficult. Our firm specialized in homebuilding. Now that homebuilding has slowed down, we're branching out, sort of coasting until we figure out the next big thing. The tension in the office is palpable. We've downsized due to people leaving. Everyone wants to make money, and nobody is. Candidates don't have jobs and they are stressed out, constantly calling recruiters. Recruiters have no jobs for these candidates and all people involved are becoming more and more stressed out. No way I could handle it! Of course this is still a great place to work, no matter how things are going.

2 comments:

Rachel - former HR blogger said...

I'm surprised that when one is happy all are happy. I would expect competition to be a problem.

Unknown said...

Rachel - I think because we are so small now and business has been so slow, it's exciting for the company to get a check. We like our salaries!