Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Friday, June 6, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

That may seem like an odd title for a post on a blog that has been inactive for a month. There are some things about myself that I have always known in my subconscious, but that have become very apparent as I've become an adult and undertaken new projects. When something disrupts my plan or my goal, I get a little freaked out and I tend to drop it altogether. For instance, at the beginning of the year I bought a Nintendo DS and bought BrainAge. I played religiously every day for nearly two months. I missed one day, and that was it. I haven't picked it up since. The same thing happened with blogging. I was trying to blog on a regular basis, and be on Twitter, and learn how to network. I got overwhelmed, I stopped, and obviously I didn't pick it up again.

This is not something I'm proud of. Obviously it's a hindrance in many ways. I'm forcing myself to work around it. So I'm writing this post. I've been thinking about the reasons I like blogging and being on Twitter and so forth. The list is not particularly extensive, but I thought I'd share.

1. I like to have an outlet for whatever I'm thinking about or feeling at a particular time.
2. I enjoy writing. It makes me feel smart and creative.
3. I like Twitter because I can get to know amazing people I would never normally meet. This has helped me broaden my horizons.

And that's all I've got. But now I've also got a starting point. I've made a post. So now it's not so overwhelming to make another. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel,

I miss your Tweets. We had some fun conversations earlier this year on there.

I know exactly how you feel about the stop start problem. I'm exactly the same. But ya know what? A blog is your own blog. You shouldn't have to live up to a schedule. It should just be what you want to write, when you want to write it. :-)

Unknown said...

Jamie - Thanks for the kind words! I do miss being on Twitter and I'm trying to get back on. It's so very addictive!

Unknown said...

Twitter is the new blog. If you're on Twitter, you're everywhere!!

xo/laurie

Unknown said...

Well in that case, Laurie, I shall RULE THE WORLD!