Wife, comic nerd, gamer, professional, reader, blogger, pet owner, friend, sister, aspiring HR pro, office manager. What am I? What am I not?

Monday, February 2, 2009

Un(der) Employed - The Saga

Last week (Wednesday) I had a serious conversation with my boss. I expressed that I was concerned because he had reduced the base pay of a couple of our recruiters. I noted that I understand we are in a period of change due to the economy, but I needed him to know that I was worried about how I fit into the company. The result of the conversation was that my hours were cut in half and I was advised to find alternate employment. Well, technically that wasn't a direct result of our conversation, I had seen it coming, but it was still shocking.

That day I immediately went home, wrote my resume, had a good friend and recruiter review it, then posted it on Monster and Craigslist. I then submitted it to about 25 different positions, tweaking the resume and my introductory paragraph for each one. I texted or called several of my friends to let them know I was looking. I submitted my resume to four different staffing firms.

Oh, yeah, and I freaked out. Who wouldn't freak out? This was the worst possible time for something like this to happen. Not that there is ever a good time.

Since then, I've had one interview, and I think the position is promising. I've tried to keep a positive attitude, but it's difficult. I want to enjoy this new-found free time, but it's impossible to enjoy this time when I don't want to have time off, I want to have a job. I continue to work my half hours at my current position while I'm looking for a new one. It's all very frustrating. Especially because as I do my research, I realize how few jobs there really are.

My confidence that I will find something in my ideal pay range is fading. The interview I had may still pan out, but if it doesn't I'm very concerned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, taking immediate action. Good luck finding a job. It may be a competitive time but I'm sure you can do it.

Anonymous said...

I might be in your same boat soon. I'm a contractor at my day job and most times we're the first to go. Keep your chin up and get yourself out there. You'll find work. Just try and stay as positive as you can!

Rachel - former HR blogger said...

If it makes you feel any better they would have let you go either way.

Take time to grieve and then get out there and tell us what it's like.

Unknown said...

Wesley & Jeff - It's such a weird time! But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Rachel - I'm out here. I don't like it. I want back in there. It's lame out here.